About Alternative Break!
If you have a passion for helping others and want to spend your spring break making a difference, then join us for an Alternative Break! Each year, the Office of Student Engagement sends students to various places to learn about a particular social issue while working with organizations that address a social issue within their communities.
Trips may focus on education, poverty, hunger, homelessness, human trafficking, sustainability, etc. This is an excellent opportunity to serve those in need while gaining valuable leadership experience!
Each trip is made up of 7-9 student participants. Trip participants agree to meet weekly, as a group, starting in November and continue until their trip in March. In these meetings, students begin to learn about their trip’s focus, prepare for their trip, take part in fundraising opportunities and get to know the other students they will be traveling with.
2016-2017 Alternative Break! Timeline
- Monday, October 3rd – Applications will be available on OrgSync
- Week of October 10th – Information Sessions will be held – Watch OrgSync for more information!
- Week of October 17th – Information Sessions will be held – Watch OrgSync for more information!
- Friday, October 21st – Applications are due by midnight
- Monday, October 24th – Wednesday, October 26th: Applicant interviews
- Friday, October 28th – Trip Participants Announced
- Friday, November 4th – Mandatory Participant Meeting
Trip destinations and costs will be announced in Fall 2016. Past trips include Atlanta, Georgia and Miami, Florida. Make sure to check out past trip blogs, created and written by the trip’s participants!